Redo Yamaha CG151S finish (Part 2 of 2)

I recently completed the refinishing project on my Yamaha CG150S, stripping the polyurethane and applying shellac using french polish. I did the project in two part. In the Part 1, I refinish the back, sides and neck. I reported it in an earlier post. Some months later, I did Part 2 and redo the soundboard.

It took a lot of elbow grease to scrap and sand the thick polyurethane finish.

Boy, that polyurethane finish was really thick. The debris from just the soundboard came to 19 grams! The polyurethane on the entire guitar could easily be 70 grams or more. 


I used french polish to apply shellac, with a much thinner coats, freeing the top to vibrate more freely.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#4 First mountain dulcimer (19 June 2021)

3/4 Classical Guitar #6

Send private message

Name

Email *

Message *